[IronPython] Integration

Dino Viehland dinov at microsoft.com
Fri Sep 3 03:23:25 CEST 2010

To expose a whole namespace the simplest way is probably to call scriptRuntime.LoadAssembly(some_assembly);  All of the public types will then be available for importing from IronPython.  That means they won't all be available at the top-level.  If that's not ok you could use reflection and call DynamicHelpers.GetPythonTypeFromType(...) and inject all the types you want.

As for interop the performance should be fine.  When using dynamic from C# the overhead should basically be similar to the overhead of calling a function within Python.  And for Python calling into C# the overhead is the same as any Python code calling into any of the runtime - in other words pretty darn fast.  For a simple function call to a Python function last I measured I believe it was around 40 instructions on x86 to perform the call.

For example on my laptop this runs in about 1/3 of a second and performs 10 million function calls:

import time

def f():
                def g(): pass
                for i in xrange(10000000):
                                g()

s = time.clock()
f()
e = time.clock()

print e - s

So what probably matters a lot more is what the function is doing.