[IronPython] Working towards IronPython 2.7 RTM

Brian Curtin brian.curtin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 06:49:48 CET 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 22:45, Jeff Hardy <jdhardy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I've been thinking about what we need to do to get IronPython 2.7 to
> RTM status, and the biggest stumbling block I have is that I don't
> really know what people think of Beta 1. Most of the issues with B1
> specifically are related to the installer and should be easy enough to
> fix. There are lots of open issues, but many of them have already been
> fixed in previous releases (and a HUGE shout-out to Richard for his
> work triaging those) and many of those that haven't are pretty tough
> to crack. However, there is still some low-hanging fruit that could be
> dealt with even by those who aren't familiar to the project..
>
> What do people need to get started contributing? Would a list of
> "easy" bugs help? Is anyone not comfortable coding interested in doing
> documentation? What about working on triaging bugs - much of which is
> just writing/running test cases and determining if the bug even still
> exists? Would having a bug sprint day/weekend/week interest anyone?
> Any other ideas?

I'm just waiting for HP to build my new laptop (posting from a Mac at
home) then a bit of time to get familiar with the code base :) I'm one of
the few Windows-using CPython committers and I've fiddled with IronPython on
a few things, but I'd love to get to know it and help out.

Speaking of sprints: as lead on the PSF Sprints project, I don't think I've
reached out to this group yet, but we've gotten the go-ahead to open up our
scope. We can now fund sprints on IronPython, but it's still more of an
in-person thing. With PyCon on the horizon, anyone interested in getting
together for a sprint might be able to reserve some money to buy a group
dinner, coffee and donuts, a few pizzas, whatever -- we can reimburse $250
per group sprint.

If there's a group of willing participants for an IronPython sprint at
PyCon, I'd be happy to put the word out there. From getting developers setup
with a dev environment, to hacking on code and documentation, we'd love to
throw a couple of bucks your way to make it fun and get people involved.
Email sprints at python.org and/or me directly if there's interest.

Also, the CPython bug weekend for the 3.2 beta release seemed to be a very
big success, so something like that might work for IronPython. Once I get my
shiny new laptop all setup, I could adjust my core development guide (
http://docs.pythonsprints.com/core_development/) to work for IronPython. The
guide attracted a few newcomers to the 3.2 bug weekend.

The big problem is that we don't have any CI infrastructure set up to
> run the tests and make we haven't broken anything. Honestly, I don't
> know what we're going to about that.

I'm currently running a build slave (Server 2008 R2) for the CPython
buildbot master and I'd gladly setup an IronPython slave if we were to go
that route. I *may* be able to convince the other CPython Windows build
slave maintainers to make room for an IronPython slave, depending on their
hardware resources (some are on small VMs). I'm not experienced with the
whole Mono thing, but again pending hardware resources, we could possibly
lean on some of the CPython Mac/Linux build slaves if they are up for it.