[Ironpython-users] IronPython 3 Update

Vernon D. Cole vernondcole at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 09:08:31 CET 2014

Thank you, Jeff!!

This is wonderful!  I have already cloned the new repo on my Windows
development machine (such as it is, and old Windows 7 laptop) and will put
it on my Ubuntu development machine (the one I work on daily) in a few
minutes.

Two questions remain that were not answered in the Readme:

1) What github workflow are we planning to use?  Everyone shares the same
fork/repo and submits pull requests from his/her branch there?  Or each
developer forks the project and submits pull reports from it?  I am more
familiar with the second (having used it more) but many projects prefer the
first.

  [It would probably a good idea to turn on the github wiki and answer this
in the repo.  I am willing to copy a suitable draft from another project
and edit to fit, if that would be helpful. I really want to write a page
for Ubuntu installation, as soon as I can figure out how to do it myself.]

2) What compilers and tool chains will be supported.  I presume the current
MonoDevelop on Linux, but what on Windows?  My ability to work on a CPython
project (pywin32) is severely hampered by not being able to obtain a
suitably ancient C++ compiler.  I would hate to get in to a similar bind
here. I have managed to get through life so far without ever having to buy
Visual Studio and believe that we should maintain the ability to build
using free tools.
Looking at visualstudio.com<http://www.visualstudio.com/en-US/products/visual-studio-express-vs>it
seems that the best viable candidate would be *Express
2013 for Windows Desktop*.
Would that be the appropriate choice?
--
Vernon Cole