[Mailman-Developers] 2 Quickies

John Viega viega@list.org
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 19:43:21 -0700

On Wed, Jun 03, 1998 at 07:44:11PM -0400, Corbett Klempay wrote:
> Being the big newbie, I am having 2 snags so far in my Mailman 1.0b4
> installation (Red Hat 5.1):
>
> 1)
> Cron is giving me this every 5 minutes:
>
> Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 19:20:01 -0400
> From: Cron Daemon <root@chimera.acm.jhu.edu>
> To: mailman@chimera.acm.jhu.edu
> Subject: Cron <mailman@chimera> /usr/bin/python
> /home/mailman/cron/gate_news
>
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "/home/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 41, in ?
>     file = open(os.path.join(mm_cfg.DATA_DIR, "gate_watermarks.last"),
> "w")
> IOError: (13, 'Permission denied')

That's interesting, as I can't reproduce this problem on my system.
What does an ls -l on $prefix/data give you?

BTW, you can just comment out the gate-news line and reinstall the crontab
until we can figure out exactly what's going on...

> 2)
> And I'm getting a 403 Forbidden on the test list...I'm thinking this might
> be related to the other admin installing cgi-wrap...I'm not too keen on
> how it works.

This sounds likely.  I don't remember much about cgi-wrap.  I think the
URLs almost certainly have to be a different format.  Something like:
http://www.server.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/mailman/name-of-script

And then name-of-script has to live in ~mailman/cgi-bin.  I can't
remember, you might want to check the man page on cgiwrap.

However, if you added the ScriptAlias line or whatever to your httpd
conf and restarted, you shouldn't need to use cgi-wrap, I'd think.

Watch syslog / maillog and see if you've got a GID error, as that also
sounds possible.

> Does is the user mailman supposed to belong to just the users group, or
> users as well as the mailman group?

It should belong to the mailman group...