[Mailman-Developers] 2 Quickies

John Viega viega@list.org
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 19:59:37 -0700

On Wed, Jun 03, 1998 at 07:43:21PM -0700, John Viega wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 03, 1998 at 07:44:11PM -0400, Corbett Klempay wrote:
> > Being the big newbie, I am having 2 snags so far in my Mailman 1.0b4
> > installation (Red Hat 5.1):

> > Traceback (innermost last):
> >   File "/home/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 41, in ?
> >     file = open(os.path.join(mm_cfg.DATA_DIR, "gate_watermarks.last"),
> > "w")
> > IOError: (13, 'Permission denied')
>
> That's interesting, as I can't reproduce this problem on my system.

BTW, I'm running redhat 5.1 too.  I've been thinking about this
problem, and I'm thinking that your problem is potentially something
like mailman files are getting created as mailman.user instead of
mailman.mailman, or something like that.  That could cause problems.
I'd suggest making sure that Mailman's /etc/passwd entry has the
mailman GID in the group field, and not the user GID.  Then you
probably will want to re-install.

Anyway, if that still doesn't work, or if that isn't a problem, then
let me know what ls -l says on $prefix/data...

John