[Mailman-Developers] '&' in an address

John Viega viega@list.org
Sat, 6 Jun 1998 06:44:28 -0700

On Sat, Jun 06, 1998 at 02:45:15PM +0300, Janne Sinkkonen wrote:

> I have never before seen an address with '&' in it, but now we have
> 'r&d.nylund@somewhere.com' on one of our lists.  It is a problem,
> since the error log shows the followig when a message is posted to the
> list:

> I have 1.0b4, but the subscription was made while we were running an
> earlier version. It's possible that the address found its way to the
> list through the admin's mass subscription.
>
> Either mailman shouldn't allow such addresses to be subscribed, or
> then the post script needs fixing.

I would have to look this one up, but if & is supposed to be valid in
email addresses, we should probably try to support it, even though
it's a special character in URLs, and will thus be a bit tricky to
work around.  I'll have to look this one up, and implement the right
solution (anyone else is welcome to beat me to it :).  Let's say I
will make sure there's some sort of solution by b5.  For now, I would
suggest you remove the address from the list.  The admin membership
page may work for this, or you may need to fire up Python and remove
them by hand:

import maillist
m = maillist.MailList('whatever-list')
m.members.remove('offending_address')
m.Save()

Then exit the interpreter so the list will Unlock, or call m.Unlock().

If he's a digest member, use m.digest_members instead...

John