[Mailman-Developers] When will mailman 1.2 be released?

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us (Barry A. Warsaw)
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 16:01:36 -0500 (EST)

    R> Actually I've been thinking of some way to integrate (My)SQL
    R> with Mailman.  It would be great if you could choose to have
    R> all the configuration stored in any form of DB you want,
    R> instead of the python db (the name slipped me for a moment
    R> here)... but i guess that would mean a major rewrite of a lot
    R> of MM's fuctinality...  or maybe the user db could be separated
    R> from config.db...

    R> does anybody have some thoughts on this too?

    R> I know a lot of people would like to be able to have a
    R> customizable userdatabase. We're going to use Mailman for a
    R> project soon, where we need to define extra fields too.

I believe that the Right Solution would be to design an API for the
underlying user database.  I want to support people who, e.g. already
have user accounts through Zope or some other Web-app/portal software,
so that they don't have to force users to log in twice.  This would
let us distribute a GPL compatible database back-end for stand-alone
operation, but should also let us integrate with existing user
databases.

That's about as far as my own thinking has gone.

-Barry