[Mailman-Developers] Membership management chunking requires two authentications..

Ted Cabeen secabeen@pobox.com
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 15:26:48 -0600

In message <20000221221518.A17481@miss-janet.com>, Ricardo Kustner writes:
>On Mon, Feb 21, 2000 at 01:56:52PM -0600, Ted Cabeen wrote:
>> I don't know if this has been fixed in the CVS version, but I thought I'd
>> submit it anyways.  There seems to be a small authentication bug with the
>> chunking in the membership management page.  The page will load up correctly
>
>> the first time it is accessed with the first chunk size shown.  However, whe
>> you request a different chunk, it requires a reauthentication and then gives
>
>> the chunk=0 page instead of the requested chunk.  If you then click on the
>> alternate chunk it loads fine.  However, the additional click and
>> authentication is annoying.
>
>I have/had the same problem, and i'm using the CVS version...
>
>I just had a closer look and now I know why it behaves this way in my case:
>our list is accessible at two hostnames which share the exact same website...
>the hostname that is linked at the membership chunk links is different
>than the hostname i sometimes use to access the list... so netscape thinks
>the cookie is for a different host...
>
>which makes me wonder why the chunk links on the admin page have a full
>http:// link while other links on it don't ?
>
>maybe you are experiencing the same problem? compare the hostname you
>use to access the admin page with the hostname that's being used in the
>links to the membership chunks... if they are different, that's the
>reason why you have to re-enter the password.

You're right.  However, that doesn't change the bug.  The bug is as follows:
When you try to access the admin pages with a hostname that you haven't used
before, it asks you to reauthenticate for that hostname.  This includes when
you manually type in a shorter address for the machine(http://lists/ instead
of http://lists.uchicago.edu/) That isn't really a bug.  Reauthentication for
different hostnames is understandable.  However, when you are asking for a
specific chunk of the membership list and you have to reauthenticate, it
ignores your chunk request and always gives chunk 0. Is there a passing
problem in the authentication module?

--
Ted Cabeen           http://www.pobox.com/~secabeen         secabeen@pobox.com
Check Website or finger for PGP Public Key        secabeen@midway.uchicago.edu