[Mailman-Developers] Huge lists

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@python.org
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 17:17:05 -0400 (EDT)

    JCL> While I really have no say here, were I Barry and Co I'd be
    JCL> comfortable with targetting Mailman as able to handle a
    JCL> mid/high 6digit subscriber base list on mid-range PC-class
    JCL> hardware given suitable system configuration.  That wouldn't
    JCL> be the target of course, just the "it must be physically able
    JCL> to work here" metric.

Bingo.

    JCL> Were delivery to the MTA seperated from the receipt or CGI
    JCL> process (ie mail is received, the RCPT list attached to it,
    JCL> and the tuple placed on a queue for background processing via
    JCL> forked process or cron job), we wouldn't be having this
    JCL> discussion.  Its a fairly invasive change to the current
    JCL> Mailman architecture, but making the whole reciept/broadcast
    JCL> aspect asynchronous offers some really pleasant future
    JCL> avenues.

Yes.

    JCL> Just been poking around there and noticed that your archives
    JCL> seem to be inop (dead disk).  If you're interested I've been
    JCL> messing about with MHonArc and PHP in my spare time and have
    JCL> almost finished getting a setup that:

    JCL>   -- Allows archived messages to be replied to on the web via
    JCL> the archive page (replies post to the list).

    JCL>   -- Templates (PHPLIB) the entire archive appearance.  All
    JCL> MHonArc does is the parsing and data extraction.

    JCL>   -- Supports archive searching by MessageID.  I've an MTA
    JCL> hack that inserts a MessageID-based URL into all outgoing
    JCL> Mailman list traffic so the user can just hit the URL and be
    JCL> taken to that message in the archives (searches the MHonArc
    JCL> DB, useful for thread reference etc).

    JCL> Hopefully I'll get something worth public viewing sometime
    JCL> next week.

Please do, these sound very cool.  One of the things high on my list
is to templatize the UI for the web interface so it can be integrated
into existing sites more seamlessly.  I know some guys who are doing a
cool project in Python that might provide the necessary functionality,
but on the other hand PHP might be fun to look into to.

-Barry