[Mailman-Developers] Betas coming soon

bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 14:22:22 -0500 (EST)

    RJ> Upgraded my test machine, which was running a month or two ago
    RJ> cvs snapshot, and so far things are ok.  Except for gateing
    RJ> *to* a list, but someone already caught that.

Right.  That change should have been checked in by now, so doing a cvs
update should get you the fix to Mailman/Handlers/ToUsenet.py

    RJ> If things look ok, I'll put it on my production server later
    RJ> in the week or early next.

Cool.

    RJ> Note that the images aren't in the cvs repository yet.

The should be!  Take a look at

    http://cvs.python.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/mailman/misc/

and you should find PythonPowered.png, gnu-head-tiny.jpg, and
mailman.jpg which are the three logos.

    RJ> (Is the python image really a PNG?  Yuck.)

Why yuck?  My dilemma was this: PythonPowered.gif is purposefully
transparent around the edges of the oval, but we can't use gifs
because Mailman is Gnu.  I'd have preferred jpegs for consistency, but
I couldn't figure out how to make the transparency work (I don't think
jpeg supports transparencies).  png seemed the only compromise, and
converting from gif to png was made easy by Eric Raymond's tool.

The downsides I see are support for png in browsers.  NS 4.7 and MSIE
5.x both support pngs, but only MSIE supports transparent pngs (so if
you change your background to other than white, it won't look nice).
I'm open to suggestions, but this seems to me to be the best
compromise as long as gifs are verboten.

-Barry