[Mailman-Developers] Postfix, Mailman, no aliases file, neat setup?

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 20:47:47 -0800

At 12:56 PM +1100 11/17/00, Andrew McNamara wrote:

>Okay - the closest I can come to this off the top of my head is to
>define "fallback_transport" to point to a "pipe" transport that called
>Mailman.
>
>Mailman would then receive all unknown local destinations, and would
>have to recognise owner- and -request style addresses also. It would
>also need to return EX_NOUSER (exit 67). Not as pretty, but should work
>okay.

How about, as an alternative, adding an LDAP api to Mailman (or some
other interface that could be attached to something like LDAP). that
way, you could write a really simple thing like wrapper that could
dynamically look up whether a list exists and then do something
useful with it. So instead of trying to add this functionality to
Mailman, you add an interface that allows a special tool to be
written that adds taht functionality -- and allows for other things
(one thing I *really* want is subscription validation for external
uses, like authentification into my archives. this kills both birds
with one stone and a couple of simple glue procs...

Which leads me to something I've talked to Barry about, which is an
open source authentification system that everything can plug into,
including Mailman. So we can finally stop rewriting user databases
from scratch every time we write a tool, and can integrate everything
into a single system for a site... But that's down the road -- but
think in terms of whether a feature like this stands alone, or
whether a generalization of it can be used to solve multiple
options.....

The vet said it was behavioral, but I prefer to think of it as genetic.
It cuts down on the liability -- Get Fuzzy