[Mailman-Developers] Mailman + PostgreSQL

John Morton John Morton <jwm@plain.co.nz>
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 11:02:43 +1300 (NZDT)

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 08:32:44 -0500 Chris Ryan <chris@greatbridge.com> wrote=
:

> Hello all,
>=20
> =09I've been using Mailman on our web site for open source development of
> "serious business software." http://www.greatbridge.org/. We are
> interested in seeing Mailman have a PostgreSQL database back end (and
> further in the future PHP front end web tools.)  I have been given
> permission to start working on this as soon as I have completed my
> current project (should be done this week).
>=20
> =09I've started to familiarize myself with the general flow of Mailman. I
> have not had a chance to get into the current data handling classes but,
> correct me if i'm wrong, I believe modifying the code to use a database
> should be fairly contained. In the process of doing this I want to do
> everything in a such a manner that is best for contributing back to the
> Mailman project.
>=20
> =09Any feedback anyone can offer on this subject would be wonderful.
> Thanks in advance.

Rather than hack in postgreSQL support directly, it's probably a better
idea to wrap the whole data storage system in an abstraction layer,
provide a couple of standard implementations (ie pickled objects and the
postgreSQL system you're looking into to) and allow people to integrate
their own storage system to suit their needs. Personally I want to place
Mailman's data into a ZODB so I can get seemless Zope intergration.=20

Zpatterns might be a good place to start, as far as a data abstraction
layer goes.

http://www.zope.org/Members/pje/Wikis/ZPatterns/HomePage

John