[Mailman-Developers] Debian packaging information

Mark Tearle mtearle@tearle.com
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 12:07:01 +0800 (WST)

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>     MT> Just a quick question - is there a reason why the debian
>     MT> packaging information is not in the mailman CVS tree?
>
> Does it need to be?  I don't personally do the packaging, but if it
> would help packagers to include config files in the tree someplace,
> then I'll include any relevant donated files.
>
> -Barry

Does it need to be?  Probably not, the Debian packaging system copes
with upstream versions of programs.

Does it help?  Yes, one canonical source for the packaging information and
is more likely to track the latest version.  A example would be a lot
of the GNOME programs that have the packaging files in their CVS trees.

The reason I asked is that I was wanting to install the latest CVS version of
mailman on my system when I was hacking on it the other day and have
my machine end up suffering a bad case of /usr/local-itis.

Yours
Mark
--
Mark Tearle - mark@tearle.com                          "You howl and listen