[Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-Users] [ANNOUNCE] Mailman 2.1 alpha 2

J C Lawrence claw@2wire.com
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 11:30:50 -0700

On Tue, 17 Jul 2001 10:34:22 +0200
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net> wrote:

> After some careful consideration, as well as a chat with a few
> clueful colleagues, I have to disagree with you, Barry. The trick
> here is 'managing the expectations'. Having the message say
> something like

> To confirm or remove your subscription request, visit <URL>

> And then have that URL bring up a nice overview of what list you
> are subscribing to, the options you chose
> (regular-digest/mime-digest/etc), what email address you entered,
> and 'remove' and 'confirm' buttons.

Agreed.

Which is the greater value:

  Yet more automated hand-holding for the uncertain/unfacile

or

  Faster and more direct operation for the masses

From a list owner perspective I know which side I'd prefer.

> Frankly, it's always bothered me that you can't unconfirm a
> mailinglist subscription, let alone not being able to see what you
> are subscribing to ;P

<nod>

> Extra credit if you make the URL (or something similar) also work
> if a subscription is held for approval, but without a 'confirm'
> button -- just a 'remove' one. Actually, the same kind of
> interface for a held message would be great, too :)

Yup, especially the latter (I have several who persist in sending in
dupes before they remember its a hand moderated list).

--