[Mailman-Developers] Re: GET vs POST (was Re: subscription confirmations)

Les Niles les@2pi.org
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 07:56:46 -0700

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001 09:33:37 -0400 "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra@baylink.com> wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 11:50:33PM -0700, Les Niles wrote:
>>                              And regardless, using POST instead of
>> GET is a fairly simple change.  From a pragmatic point of view,
>> there's not much reason not to comply with the published standard,
>> even if its justification is weak.
>
>Actually, alas, this is the crux of the discussion.  It is *not* a
>fairly simple change: you can't POST *from the middle of an email*,
>which was the desired implementation.  If you use POST, the user *has
>to do another thing*.

Well, yeah, but as I said, I think having the user do another thing
actually makes for a much nicer UI.  My "simple change" comment
was intended to refer to the coding effort.  (Hmm... seems like it
would be possible to POST from a text/html section in the middle of
an email... but I'm sure not going to suggest that. :)

>There is much reason not to comply with the published standard: people
>are stupid.  Shame, isn't it?

I'm not sure which stupidity you're talking about.  Are you
concerned that people will launch the link from the email but then
not push the "confirm" (or "cancel") button?

  -les