[Mailman-Developers] mm-handler

Ron Jarrell jarrell@vt.edu
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 01:53:44 -0400

At 01:49 AM 7/26/01 -0400, you wrote:

>    RJ> Hey, Barry, while you're checking things in, how about
>    RJ> committing contrib/mm-handler, which isn't actually in the
>    RJ> repository, despite what README.SENDMAIL says.
>
>I wish I could, but I've never seen it.  AFAIR, David Champion was
>going to send it to me, but I don't think I ever actually go it.  If
>you did David and I just lost it, then I apologize!  Please resend.
>
>    RJ> BTW, although I haven't tried it yet, I'm still sure you're
>    RJ> missing something in those instructions.  Just defining a
>    RJ> mailer isn't going to do anything unless there's a rule
>    RJ> somewhere, like in the mailertab, that defines a particular
>    RJ> pattern that causes it to *use* said mail.  Sendmail often
>    RJ> operates by black magic, but this is blacker than most.
>
>I gave up Sendmail hacking years ago, and that one simple act lead to
>the loosening of my restraints, the toning down of my medication, and
>my eventual release back into the World of the Shiny Happy People.
>Even the bruise on my forehead eventually healed.
>
>IOW, Sendmail hackers, please send help.  Between Fil and myself, I
>think we've got Postfix covered, and I'm ecstatic that Nigel is here
>to help with Exim, but I really need help from you folks to provide
>good solutions for Sendmail, Qmail, and any other popular MTA.

Well, David just indicated that he's going to get to it Real Soon Now, but
basically, you're going to need to not only define that mailer, but
add a FEATURE(mailertable), then define the mailertable map file,
which would having something like

mail.python.org mailman:mail.python.org

Then any mail to mail.python.org in it would be processed with the mailman
mailer.  Which means sites that don't reserve a seperate hostname for their
lists are ineligible, but the ones that do are golden.

(sendmail hacker for far, far too many years.)