[Mailman-Developers] mailman and the web

Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 22:35:50 -0500

On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 10:17:04PM -0500, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
> In Mailman, this message would be handed off to the local MTA as one
> copy, with 1000 recipients.  Then it would be up to the MTA to do as
> efficient delivery as is possible.  Mailman has some optional chunking
> parameters so that it can be tuned to your MTA, but in general, it
> tries to hand off the message with the fewest dialog with the MTA as
> possible, and then it gets out of the way.

And for good reason.  From an adventure last week, on a P200:

Time to add 1000 recipients to a list with welcome mails: 70-80
minutes.

Time to add 1000 recipients to a list *without* welcome mails: roughly
2 minutes.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink