[Mailman-Developers] Dates

Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Tue, 1 May 2001 17:31:53 -0400

On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 02:27:46PM -0700, Dan Mick wrote:
> "Jay R. Ashworth" wrote:
> > On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 12:23:01PM -0700, Dan Mick wrote:
> > > Personally, I want the date in the Date header to be the one that
> > > shows up. I don't care when it got to the list server, finally; I care
> > > when it was sent. If the sender is too stupid to set up his machine, I
> > > want to know that, too.
> >
> > It's possible, Dan, that you might have missed the fact that what's
> > being discussed (unless *I* missed something big :-) is *what date the
> > message is _archived_ as*... and that the original sent date is
> > preserved in the archive.
>
> Right.  But if it's archived as "today" when it was sent "yesterday",
> that's not the bahavior I would ever want, even if the Date: header is
> correct in the archive.

Ok, but the situation we're discussing here is when it was sent
yesterday, and received yesterday, but *dated* some time in 1982.

Since the message will not contain *any* authoritative sent dates at
that point, what protocol would you *suggest*, for having it archived
as being sent yesterday, the way you'd like?

> > I don't think -- Barry will no doubt forrect
> > me if my short term memory has gone completely to hell -- that he was
> > rewriting dates on *mailed* messages...
>
> Right.  I'm talking about the archiver too.
> I just wanted to point out that opinions differ.

Certainly... but I don't necessarily see that you've posited a
*solution*, just an opinion.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink