[Mailman-Developers] Re: Creation/deletion of lists through-the-web

David Champion dgc@uchicago.edu
Wed, 9 May 2001 12:10:49 -0500

On 2001.05.09, in <20010509101321.61492@scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us>,
	"Jay R. Ashworth" <jra@baylink.com> wrote:
> > that you typically have to do some manual and difficult crud like edit
> > an /etc/aliases file and run `newaliases' (as root!).  I've figured a
> > way around this with Postfix, and of course Exim can be configured to
> > automatically recognize new mailing lists, so I figured it was time to
> > do it.  I'm hoping that Sendmail, Qmail, and other MTA users amongst
> > yourselves will contribute the code to glue this together for other
> > mailers.
>
> IMHO, the proper solution for sendmail is for the admin to put an
> :include: in /etc/aliases pointing to /home/mailman/data/aliases, and
> rebuild that from scratch against the current list of lists every time
> that list changes.

I've written a mailer (in the sendmail sense) for Mailman.  You can
define a mailertable entry as:
	server.name.mil		mailman:server.name.mil

And add the mailer to sendmail.cf:
	MMailman,	P=/etc/mail/mm-handler, F=rDFMhlqSu, U=mailman:other,
			S=EnvFromL, R=EnvToL/HdrToL,
			A=mm-handler $h $u

...and it's all automagical.  No more aliases, no more recompiling map
datbases.

You can find it in the archives, or I can mail you the most recent
working version.

--
 -D.	dgc@uchicago.edu	NSIT	University of Chicago