[Mailman-Developers] Re: mangling of subject header by outlook or mailman

totschnig.michael@uqam.ca totschnig.michael@uqam.ca
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 06:37:14 -0500

Hello,

sorry for following up to my own message, but with the help of a
friend using outlook, I could gather data that helps describe the
problem more precisely.

1) when sending a mail to a mailman list with the title
"test de deboguage des =E9 et =E8 dans le header subject" which gets
encoded by Pine as=20

Subject: =3D?ISO-8859-1?Q?test_de_deboguage_des_=3DE9_et_=3DE8_dans_le?=3D
 =3D?ISO-8859-1?Q?_header_subject?=3D

2) mailman generates=20

Subject: [Test] =3D?ISO-8859-1?Q?test_de_deboguage_des_=3DE9_et_=3DE8_dan=
s_le?=3D
 =3D?ISO-8859-1?Q?_header_subject?=3D

3) a user of outlookexpress 5 replies both directly and via the
list. the direct reply has the following header:
   =20
Subject: =3D?iso-8859-1?Q?Re:_=3D5BTest=3D5D_test_de_deboguage_des_=3DE9_=
et_=3DE8_dans_le_he?=3D
	=3D?iso-8859-1?Q?ader_subject?=3D

which still gets correctly decoded by mail readers.

4) but the mail transmitted by mailman gets the following headers.=20

Subject: [Test] =3D?iso-8859-1?Q?Re:_=3D5BTest=3D5D_test_de_deboguage_des=
_=3DE9_et_=3DE8_dans_le_he?=3D
	=3D?iso-8859-1?Q?ader_subject?=3D;
	Subject: [Test] =3D?iso-8859-1?Q?Re:_=3D5BTest=3D5D_test_de_deboguage_de=
s_=3DE9_et_=3DE8_dans_le_he?=3D
	=3D?iso-8859-1?Q?ader_subject?=3D;
		=3D?iso-8859-1?Q?ader_subject?=3D

i do not know the standards about encoding of headers, but i think
there is a problem with the header generated by mailman. i rgret not
being component enough to contribute more to debug it.

regards, michael