[Mailman-Developers] Re: New Pipermail hacks (was Re: Ok, it works! ...)

David Champion dgc@uchicago.edu
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 03:25:56 -0500

On 2001.10.26, in <87hesmbysl.fsf@nausicaa.interq.or.jp>,
	"Ben Gertzfield" <che@debian.org> wrote:

> Sure, but duplicates will come in quite quickly; it will be pretty
> useless as soon as 40 people send in "map.gif", don't you think?  We'd
> have to do filename munging in any case, and that's sticky.  What do
> you suggest, prefix the filename with a number if the original filename
> is taken?

Oh, I forgot to mention that part: make a subdirectory of the
attachments/ directory, whose name is unique and preferably based on
some characteristic of the message (message-id, sequence number, etc.)
combined with something unlikely to repeat (a hash, a sequence number,
etc.).

All that message's attachments would go in there.

That might be desirable anyway -- do you suppose a list might see enough
attachments and enough activity that all the attachments make readdirs
on the attachments/ directory uncomfortably slow?

--
 -D.	dgc@uchicago.edu	NSIT	University of Chicago