[Mailman-Developers] simple feature

Mikhail Zabaluev mhz@alt-linux.org
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 12:38:53 +0300

Hello Barry,

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 02:25:37AM -0500, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>     BB> Will 2.1 have the ability to just completey *drop* posts
>     BB> matching a pattern, instead of holding them for moderation?
>     BB> I've got a couple of lists where Re: posts (replies back to
>     BB> the list) arent allowed; only initial problem messages and
>     BB> then a summary/solution posting.
>
> General matching against headers with auto-discards probably will not
> be supported out of the box in MM2.1.
>
>     BB> It would be nice if I could have Mailman just *drop* the Re:
>     BB> posts instead of holding them for moderation; I'd like to
>     BB> avoid having to use Procmail for this...
>
> No need to use Procmail to add this feature though!  Simply add a
> pipeline module that checks the listname, and for those lists that you
> want to discard Re: messages, simply search Subject: headers for
Re:.

This is totally unreliable. Some German-localized MUAs would use "AW:"
instead of "Re:"; more exotic prefixes are possible. "Re:" is no more
than convention.
More reliable way would be to track "References:" and "In-Reply-To:",
although I don't see a solution ready.

--
Stay tuned,
  MhZ                                     JID: mookid@jabber.org