[Mailman-Developers] documentation for config.pck elements?

Dan Mick Dan Mick <dmick@utopia.West.Sun.COM>
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 19:15:54 -0800 (PST)

>     DM> It might be that inverting the problem might be the right
>     DM> answer: Mailman 2.1 goes through an API for all "member"-type
>     DM> queries, and so perhaps storing the member info external to
>     DM> config.db via a new "member-adaptor" interface, so that TMDA
>     DM> could also access it through a stable interface, would be the
>     DM> right Mailman/TMDA integration answer?  See MemberAdaptor.py
>     DM> and OldStyleMemberships.py.
>
> That's definitely on the plate for post-MM2.1.  Separating out the
> storage and representation issues and providing an abstract interface
> to the data model affords all kinds of benefits.

Actually, I was semi-proposing that MemberAdaptor was mature enough
to be drop-in-replaced by something that TMDA supplies, but I can't
quite tell if you're disagreeing or not.

>     DM> Interesting, though; just trying out SpamAssassin
>
> Neat!  Are you integrating it with Mailman?  I'd love to hear about
> your results (you may have already posted about it, I'm trying to
> catch up on the list).  It looks like a neat thing to try to marry to
> Mailman.  So is TDMA.  Thanks for posting that link Jason.

No, I'm not trying any marriage, nor any realtime lookups, just
using its prewired heuristics (from a .forward file, as I don't
own my mailserver).  It's a "look at the message and try to intuit
if it's spam" solution, so it doesn't use any whitelisting really
(well, there's dynamic whitelisting, in that some of its heuristics
are "have I ever noted non-spam from this address before?")

I love it so far; it's instantly cut my spam to almost nil (from
~30-40 a day) with very few errors.