[Mailman-Developers] My extensions to Mailman for threading

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 11:02:50 -0800

On Sun, 24 Mar 2002 10:39:38 -0800
Ellen Spertus <spertus@mills.edu> wrote:

> The design document is available at
> https://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=10285&group_id=44608. My
> code is available at
> https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=44608.  I
> invite criticism.

Short story:

  I run an active technically oriented list which suffers a number of
  growth curve and elder game problems.

Basic response to proposed patch:

  Love the idea.

  Complexity needs to be hidden so that members can use the
  functionality if they want to but don't have to.

  Want subscriptions to default to getting all messages on all threads.

  Want easy/trivially_automatic way to flag reply to current thread as a
  thread fork and/or thread merge (both happen frequently for me).

  Want easy/trivially_automatic way to flag reply to current thread as a
  topic shift (same subject, very different viewpoint on it).

  Problems with handling replies from digests (even properly edited