[Mailman-Developers] "search for member with RE" box at top instead of bottom

Ron Jarrell jarrell@vt.edu
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 02:41:57 -0500

At 10:07 PM 3/27/02 +0100, Fil wrote:
>@ Dan Mick <dmick@utopia.West.Sun.COM> :
> > If there were a less-visually-clunky tweak to include it at the top of the
> > list, I think it would be better yet.  I'll hack around a bit (it seemed
> > like a patch job to me visually too).
>
>I like the idea of having this search box right on the top, on every admin
>pane (but very small, ie without helpline and no big button).

I think the help and big button are important.  *We* don't need it,
but one thing mailman has so far been excellant for is handing
to only vaugely computer competant people to handle their own lists.
I have several lists run by folks for whom the height of technology is
using a web browser.  They cope quite nicely.  But I think we're getting
away from that, and they're coping less nicely.  I've already gotten a
plaintive cry of "where did all my users go?" to the new membership
page, followed, after a short explanation of "Ok, explain again everything
after "regular expression"?  Why do a put an asterisk after the period?"

If we don't have an "expert/novice" toggle, then handholding good.