[Mailman-Developers] 2.1b4+ evaluation order glitch.

Barry A. Warsaw barry@python.org
Mon Nov 4 21:33:05 2002

    CVR> Barry --

    CVR> looks like 2.1b4 is evaluating messages slightly out of
    CVR> order. If I get a large piece of spam (my message limit is
    CVR> 30K, the spam is, say, 60k), it gets held as too large,
    CVR> before the evaluation can take place that should reject it as
    CVR> being from a non-subscriber. Seems to me these evaluations
    CVR> ought to be reversed...

Here's a cvs log entry for Defaults.py.in:

----------------------------
revision 2.102
date: 2002/08/23 19:56:08;  author: bwarsaw;  state: Exp;  lines: +1 -1
GLOBAL_PIPELINE: Reordering the modules so that Hold comes before
Moderate.
----------------------------

so I definitely had a reason for doing this, but now I can't remember
exactly what that was. :/

I'm willing to change it back, but I suspect there will be other
glitches and my reason will become obvious again.  Note that you don't
have to wait for me -- you can re-order GLOBAL_PIPELINE in your
mm_cfg.py file and see if 'Moderate' before 'Hold' is more satisfying.

In the longer term I think we'll need to reorganize how holds are put
on messages.  I'd like to see Hold.py and Moderate.py simply tag the
messages with hold criteria, and then there would be a separate
configuration for the precedence of criteria.  And in the admindb
page, you'd get to see all the reasons why a message is being held.
If we do it right, it should be better than the current "first hit
wins" rules.

But this is just musing for post-MM2.1.

-Barry