[Mailman-Developers] Translingual Mailing List Functionality

Rafael Cordones Marcos rcm@sasaska.net
Fri Nov 8 10:45:52 2002

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002 06:07:13 -0800
les@2pi.org (Les Niles) wrote:

> I'd be happy to send the code, but am not sure how useful it would
> be since most of what you need to implement has to do with adding
> user- and list-specific options, which my implementation didn't
> deal with at all.  Adding such options is pretty easy, though,
> because of the nice design of Mailman.

Send it then!! Thanks!

> One thing you don't mention, but which I think you'll need to deal
> with, is identifying the source language of each message.  That'll
> be needed unless senders will register the language in which
> they'll be posting and can be counted on to always post in that
> language.  I've played around a bit with text-based language

Yes, my idea was for users to register which language they will be
posting in and receiving e-mails in. But you are write, a user may in
some occasion decide to post in another language and the software should
detect that.

> identification.  The algorithms do pretty well, even on messages
> just a sentence or two in length, but the error rates are on the
> order of several percent.  (I was looking at distinguishing between
> a dozen or so common European languages.)  Occassionally mis-
> identifying the source language will add an element of randomness
> to the whole process, which from my experience last year I can tell
> you can be somewhat amusing.

I will take into account.

> Another complication will be dealing with HTML-encoded email.  If
> the translating engine itself can handle HTML, great, otherwise
> you'll probably need to strip or convert the HTML parts, to just
> translate and produce plain text.

In fact, the way I see it I will either way have to deal with chuncks of
e-mails. For example,

User A writes the following e-mail *in* Language English:

<email-contents>
I have two questions:

 1.- How do I print a string in Python?
 2.- Are we alone in the galaxy?

Thanks for your answers,

/User A
</email-contents>

User B (who has chosen to receive all e-mails from the list in Spanish
gets the translation and answers like:

<email-contents>
User A escribió:

> 1.- ¿Cómo imprimo una cadena de carácteres en Python?

tmp_string = "Hello, world!";
string.print(tmp_string);

> 2.- ¿Estamos solos en la galaxia?

¡Pues la verdad es que esta es una pregunta complicada de resolver!

> Gracias por sus respuestas,

¡De nada!

/User B
</email-contents>

User A should receive *not the translation* of the previous e-mail back
to English but only what User B added in Spanish translated to English.
That is, User A should receive the pieces of her original e-mail with
the answers (translated to English) of User B.

This gets much more complicated when User C (using Chinese) writes to
both A and B telling them that User B's answer to the first question is
plain wrong. To begin with, in Python we do not use ";" to end a
line.

Well, maybe, I am talking nonsense here but what I am aiming is at
extending Mailman so it could be possible (in the long future) to merge,
for instance, debian-users-* into a single list. Insted of having
separate mailing lists for different languages, having just one.

Thanks for your time!

/rafa