[Mailman-Developers] large attachments replaced by links

Michael Meltzer mjm@michaelmeltzer.com
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 19:09:09 -0400

I hear you, in my case is was a issue of small mailboxes(hotmail) and image attachments plus one to many people with virus. Saved
many headaches by stripping all attachments, adding a url text attachment in place of  the images and converting the html to text.

The good points:
1)average messages size dropped in half, mostly from the collapse 'multipart/alternative'.
2)not more bounce message from full mailboxes(ok, almost none :-)
3)no more headaches from dialup users
4)no more moderator message from "message size excited"
5)no more dueling virus checker messages
6)made the digest users happy.
7)got the list usage below the "radar screen" of line usage :-), no sharp peeks when passing images :-)

The bad points:
1)outlook 2000(not express) handles inline text attachments badly, they need to upgrade to outlook 2002
2)the private archive code does not handle the mime type's right, need to use a public archives(for now)
3)you have to watch out for what type's are url'ed, none of them should be server side scripts extensions
4)I think that quote-printable might have to be converted to 7bit, user bitch level is getting thier.

I have some "cheesy" code that does it, you would have to hardwire the code for the mime types and it will only work with the latest
CVS, if you want it you got it, Maybe you can talk Barry into adding it as a full feature of the system, I failed.

MJM