[Mailman-Developers] feature request: new option for reply_goes_to_list

Simone Piunno pioppo@ferrara.linux.it
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 21:58:29 +0200

On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 06:19:21PM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:

> > (yeah, I know that reply-to munging is considered harmful but I consider
> > more important to keep discussions inside the lists and anyway this has
>
> I'm just amazed at how many times I've read this complete nonsense.

Marc, I see you are the only one fighting my request and I have
3 people saying it's ok for them.

I think that not implementing this feature we wouldn't improve
people's usage of reply-to in any way... we'd just leave the
situation as it is, e.g. 99% of the people doesn't {know how,
want} to use their mailer the way you teach.

We already have a big disclaimer stating the reasons why people
should choose reply-to-poster, including a link to a detailed
document.  Don't you think this is enough to educate people?
Don't you think that people aware of the problem can have still
valid reasons to choose another option in their environment?

Definitely we should stick to mechanism, not policy.

> What  you all  are doing  is furthering  people's ignorance  of their
> mail clients functionality  and preventing people  from replying

This is no longer true.
Thanks to the multiple reply-to feature we're preventing nothing.

> There is a reason why you have at least two reply functions: reply to
> author and reply to all/list. Yes, it does mean you have to use your
> brain and decide which one you want to do.
> Any attempt to make this choice go away with

Agreed, but what I want to develop is a feature where Mailman simply
suggests "The Right Thing", without removing your freedom degree.

> Please leave  people in peace and let them decide for themselves

right! please leave admins in peace and let them decide for themselves.

> By forcing a reply to list upon them, you are removing that
> choice

again, I'm neither removing nor forcing anything.

--
Adde parvum parvo magnus acervus erit.
Simone Piunno, FerraraLUG - http://members.ferrara.linux.it/pioppo