[Mailman-Developers] English (USA)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Apr 23 13:09:12 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 06:01, Norbert Bollow wrote:

> Wouldn't the "English (USA)" label feel like a slap in the face for
> such a user?

As much as I'm itching to, I really do /not/ want to get into a
political discussion on this mailing list.  I'm happy to discuss
off-list as time allows with anybody who could give a shit what /I/
think. :)

Here's a compromise that might actually be more useful technically.
Let's say every language tag in that pull down had the language code
appended to it, which would include any country and variant code, if
used.  These codes would not be translated, since the RFCs specify them
as English letters.

Thus, "English (USA)" would change to "English (en)", and we'd see other
entries like "France (fr)" and "Portuguese (pt_BR)".  You'd still see
"(en)" in the Japanese translation too.  Would this be too jarring for
non-English, non-European users?