[Mailman-Developers] English (USA)

Marty Galyean marty at penguinarts.com
Wed Apr 23 16:42:24 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 04:51, CARTER Anthony wrote:
> Televisions were invented in Britain...Doesn't mean that every tele has to
> start up with a union jack on its screen...huh?

Televisions invented in Britain?  Only if you believe Charles Babbage
"invented" electronic computers.  What was more important to the
Information Revolution?  Babbages mechanical Difference Engine?  Or the
electronic silicon chip?

As for television, see the link below,

Key excerpt:  “Zworykin had a patent, but Farnsworth had a picture…”

Both were Americans.

<http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae408.cfm>

Many were involved in the development of the idea, including important
British contributions, but the first working televisions, in the modern
sense, that is electronic, not mechanical, were decidedly American.

And when they start up, they do not show the Stars and Stripes, I might
add.

Not to start a peeing contest, but after the incredibly raw deal that
Philo Farnsworth got in his life I can't stand by and see him bent over
once again.

Marty