[Mailman-Developers] English (USA)

CARTER Anthony a.carter at cordis.lu
Thu Apr 24 11:39:13 EDT 2003

Excuse me but:

http://www.hastings.uk.net/latest/stories/050502/baird.html

I know this cause I lived in hastings and in London Road there is a plaque on
one of the building stating:"Television was born here"...

I quote:

Baird famously transmitted the first television pictures in a workshop above
the Hastings Town Centre Queen's Arcade.

I quote from http://www.hastings.uk.net/famouspeople/logiebaird.html

"John Logie Baird was born in 1888, Helensburgh in Scotland. " and

"Baird filed a patent for his television design in early July 1923. It was not
until 1924 that he had an actual working prototype. Dubbed the 'televisor',
Baird had used an old tea chest as a base, mounted a motor and attached a
home-made Nipkow disc, a cardboard circle cut from a hat box. A darning
needle became a spindle, and a discarded biscuit box made a suitable lamp
housing. Apart from the motor, his greatest investment was a few bull's-eye
lenses bought for four pence a piece. Glued together with sealing wax and
string, it was a precarious contraption, but it worked. In his room, he
managed to transmit a silhouette of a Maltese cross two or three yards to a
receiver. The image was beautiful to Baird, and proved his basic assumptions
were correct."

And from your own site:

"Another player of the times was John Logie Baird, a Scottish engineer and
entrepreneur who 'achieved his first transmissions of simple face shapes in
1924 using mechanical television. On March 25, 1925, Baird held his first
public demonstration of 'television' at the London department store
Selfridges on Oxford Street in London. In this demonstration, he had not yet
obtained adequate half-tones in the moving pictures, and only silhouettes
were visible.' - MZTV "

But Baird's work was the first showing of a working model (although
mechanical) of the principles of television...

Anthony