[Mailman-Developers] experienced newbie here...

dancerboy mailman at strangelight.com
Thu Feb 20 20:55:28 EST 2003

Hello all!

I've just been contracted to modify a specific mailman installation
so that email addresses cannot be harvested by spammers.  Rather than
go and do the mods completely on my own, I decided it would make more
sense to coordinate my efforts with the larger open-source developer
community.

About me:  I've been writing code since I was 8 years old.  I've done
a *lot* of development in Perl; significant amounts in C++, Java,
JavaScript, and PHP; and smaller amounts in quite a few other
languages (Pascal, DCL, assembler, VB, etc.).  I pick up computer
languages *very* quickly, so I don't think I'll have any trouble
learning enough Python to get this job done.  However, I'm entirely
new to this open-source collaboration thing -- I have only the
vaguest idea of how to use CVS, for example -- so I hope someone can
point me to the information I'll need so as not to make a complete
ass of myself :)

I noticed in the TODO list there was one item about creating a form
interface to discourage email harvesting.  Is there a more detailed
spec for this project available? or has it not been nailed down any
more than what's listed on the TODO page?  I'm not sure if this will
satisfy my client's requirements, but it seems to be a good place to
start.

-jason