[Mailman-Developers] semantic error in mailmanctl line 255(Mailman 2.1.2)

Dale Newfield Dale at Newfield.org
Thu May 15 10:24:19 EDT 2003

On Thu, 15 May 2003, Oliver Egginger wrote:
> > > This bug breaks several python installations.
> > > It don't work for my Mandrake system for example.

Could you post the chunk of the execl manpage from Mandrake describing
execl?

> From my understanding the first argument (argv[0]) of a program, which
> gets called by os.execl, should always yield the name of this programm.
> For example:

Not quite sure if the file name or the full path is called for by the
manpage snippet below...  Swapping in "exe"  would leave the string
"qrunner" there but add the rest of the path to qrunner as well...
...which might be beneficial for people running more than one installation
on a box (independent of whether or not that is possible or a good idea
:-)...

"The const char *arg and subsequent ellipses in the execl(), execlp(), and
execle() functions can be thought of as arg0, arg1, ..., argn.  Together
they describe a list of one or more pointers to null-terminated strings
that represent the argument list available to the executed program.  The
first argument, by convention, should point to the file name associated
with the file being executed."

> os.execl(mm_cfg.PYTHON, 'qrunner', exe, rswitch, '-s')
>
> crashs on my system with:

Just out of curiosity, are either qrunner or python in your path?

---
Dale Newfield <Dale at Newfield.org>