[Mailman-Developers] More on Mysql MemberAdaptor?

Kyrian (List) kyrian-list at ore.org
Mon Nov 10 14:10:54 EST 2003

> > Excceptions make me nervous.
>
> Exceptions are your friend!  They're so warm and cuddly they shouldn't
> frighten anyone. :)
>
> > FWIW. I think the ping() based implementation is probably the best
> > one to go for, because it doesn't raise any exceptions (so say the
> > MySQL[db] docs, anyway), and it automagically reconnects internally
> > to MySQL's own code if it can. No point in making work for
> > ourselves, eh? ;-)
>
> It all depends.  Catching the exception might actually be less work
> because you're assuming that most of the time the connection is good,
> so you don't need the extra ping.  You only need it when the
> connection is timed out.

Swings and roundabouts I guess. ping() is a pretty low overhead call as
I understand it, so there's not much in it.

Without connection cacheing though, it takes three times longer to
initialize a list and start mailing (that's for a 60,000 member list).

> > If you're not totally appauled by the code quality, and you think
> > it'll work, let me know, and (if necessary) I'll upload it to the
> > sourceforge site patches section, from which you may apply a GPL
> > license to it (as far as I'm concerned, and I think it's safe from
> > the perspective of the related software, etc.), and do what you wish
> > with it, as long as it's appropriately credited, and, for preference
> > continues to include a link to http://www.orenet.co.uk/ in it.
>
> Cool, thanks.  Do upload it.
Done.

It's in as "[ 839386 ] MySQL MemberAdaptor for Mailman 2.1".

> If we decide to use it, we'll probably need some kind of more formal
> disclaimer.
Shouldn't be a problem, as long as I don't have to guarantee it'll work
flawlessly ;-)

IIRC the only code that I've used in anything approaching a direct
cut+paste job came from Mailman's CVS anyway, so it should all be fine.

> In the meantime, it's a useful place for others to find it.
Indeed.

K.

--
Kev Green, aka Kyrian. E: kyrian@ore.org WWW: http://kyrian.ore.org/