[Mailman-Developers] Uncaught bounce notification ..

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Fri Nov 14 08:40:02 EST 2003

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 09:05:48 +0100
Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> wrote:
> "J" == J C Lawrence <claw at kanga.nu> on Tue, 11 Nov 2003 09:05:45
> -0500 writes:
>> On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 10:52:07 +0100 Martin Maechler
>> <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> wrote:

>>> My problem is that I get about 50 "Uncaught bounce notification"s
>>> per day, only few of which are spam/virus related.

>> Turn on VERP for a few days.

> 1) we (currenly must) use sendmail and that doesn't seem to support
> VERPing -- or at least we haven't found docu on that

Mailman's VERP supports don't require VERP support in the MTA, merely
support for plus addressing.

> 2) VERP will probably cost quite a bit of CPU/memory/disk-IO resources
> on the mail servert.  Currently that server almost constantly runs on
> load 2.5 -- 3 (because of anti-virus / anti-spam / mailman ..)

The added overhead is increased delivery expense in the form of more
disk IO, both for the initial delivery from Mailman, and the final
delivery to the target MX.  The other overheads are fairly minimal given
minor MTA tuning.

--
J C Lawrence