[Mailman-Developers] Requirements for a new archiver

John A. Martin jam at jamux.com
Tue Oct 28 15:35:45 EST 2003

    Iain> Functional Requirements The archive component should

    Iain> 1. store email discussions.
    Iain> 2. integrate with Mailman.
    Iain> 3. provide a web-based interface to those email-discussions.
    Iain> 4. provide an interface that threads discussions by their
    Iain>       content. (ZEST)
    Iain> 5. provide an interface that threads discussions by e-mail
    Iain>       replies.
    Iain> 6. allow for full-text searching of the archives.
    Iain> 7. allow for filtering by date, author, and/or topic.
    Iain> 8. be MIME aware.
    Iain> 9. allow archives to be set as public or private.
    Iain> 10. allow posts to be added, deleted, and modified through
    Iain>       web interface.
    Iain> 11. allow archives to be locked to prevent modification.
    Iain> 12. allow postings to be emailed.
    Iain> 13. allow postings to be referenced externally.

    Iain> There are a two reasons I am posting this.

    Iain> Is there anything obvious that I have missed?

I hope 13 means that specific (list, range) messages can be retrieved
from the archive by mail like Smartlist.

5 might want to include or allow choice to thread by subject or
references as well like Gnus.

Most importantly, 11, locking by site admin overriding virtual domain
admin overriding list owner must IMHO be a prerequisite to allowing
anybody to rewrite history (item 10).

    Iain> Which of the functional requirements, 6 to 13, do you feel
    Iain> are the most important? (As part of my report I have to
    Iain> analyse the requirements captured)

13 (like Smartlist), 9, 6, 7, ..., (11 before 10)

HTH

        jam