[Mailman-Developers] Requirements for a new archiver

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Oct 29 23:23:18 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 16:59, Peter C. Norton wrote:

> In theory you can add data types to postgresql.  Not that I've done it
> myself, but its been done.

I wouldn't want to build a system that required PostgreSQL.  Maybe we
can hide all the gore behind an interface, maybe not.

After all, we're using Python here (that's not going to change) so speed
is all relative.  Let's analyze what we're going to use this message
store for too.  We should be able to come up with a fast-enough solution
for most sites.  Really huge sites are probably going to cook their own
dog food and won't even look at Mailman.  There should be enough
flexibility in the framework to allow the sites in the middle to scale
Mailman up with some extra effort.

Note: I don't think the message store gets in the picture for the
qrunners.  We can probably improve performance here, but that's an
entirely different problem than the long-term message store we're
talking about.