[Mailman-Developers] A bit of perspective ....

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Fri Jan 30 23:54:58 EST 2004

On Jan 30, 2004, at 12:15 PM, Kevin McCann wrote:

>  I have the unenviable challenge of moving these people to a Mailman
> environment without making them feel like it is a step backward.

A laudible goal. And sometimes, the only way to make it possible is
through some front end investment. Open Source isn't free, it simply
doesn't have a price tag. the cost is in sweat equity and hours
invested by interested parties.

So to leverage open source, you have three choices:

1) find packages and projects that are sympatico with your needs and
interests, or at least come close enough to take advantage of them.

2) start typing -- dig in and do some sweating to take a package in the
directions you need it taken.

3) influence and support others to do the sweating to your needs: in
other words, patronage.

> I'll continue to look forward for solutions.

there are always solutions. Not all of them are already packaged up and
waiting to be found, or easily created through talk.