suggestion for Full Customization [Mailman-Developers]

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Mon May 10 04:50:59 EDT 2004

At 2:54 AM -0400 2004/05/10, James Ralston wrote:

>  ...why would you even *want* to have the listname for an announcement
>  list exposed in the To and/or CC header of messages sent through the
>  list?  If a recipient replies to the list, it's just going to go to
>  the moderators, right?  In most cases, the person who is sending the
>  messages will *be* the moderator.  Why not just bypass this
>  indirection and have the replies go directly to the sender (i.e., the
>  moderator)?

	One of the fundamental concepts of a mailing list is that people
know that the content is being shared with multiple recipients, and
anything they receive via the list is public knowledge (at least, to
the other list recipients), and anything they post will likewise be
public knowledge.  By breaking this concept and making everything
appear to be private e-mail sent directly from the moderator to the
individual recipients, you are completely changing the apparent
nature of the communication.

	In a sense, you are lying to the recipients, giving them the
illusion that each and every one of them is privately receiving this
content.  Moreover, any response that they may have has a much higher
likelihood of being something that they'd share privately but would
not state publicly, or at least wouldn't say the same thing in the
same way.  There would then be a serious risk that this response
would then be shared with all the other recipients, perhaps to the
very serious detriment of the responder.

	Fundamentally, mailing lists should not try to hide the fact that
they exist, and that the content being sent and received is being
shared amongst other people.

	It's fine for mailing lists to try to hide the details of their
inner workings, perhaps to make it more difficult for people to abuse
them inappropriately.  But they should not try to hide their very
existence.

>  Are the specifics of what I'm suggesting clearer now?

	Nope.  It still sounds to me like you're trying to abuse the
software for spamming.