[Mailman-Developers] 8bit and NNTP gateway

John W. Baxter jwblist at olympus.net
Thu Sep 23 02:57:03 CEST 2004

On 9/21/2004 1:14, "Brad Knowles" <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> wrote:

> At 11:24 PM -0400 2004-09-20, J C Lawrence wrote:
>
>>  Are there any extant tools to detect 8bit mail (identified by a
>>  affected MIME parts (or base message if no MIME) to quoted-printable?
>
> The easy way to handle this is to configure your MTA so that it
> thinks that it is 7-bit only, and it should do the conversion for
> you.  Sendmail certainly does this, and I'm pretty sure postfix does
> too.  Not sure about any of the others.

Exim by default is configured to not advertise 8BITMIME and to reject
offered 8 bit messages.  It doesn't try to transcode.  And since it doesn't,
it can't accept 8 bit messages for relay since it would have to do the
conversion if the relay target doesn't accept 8 bit.

If that's an issue in a given installation, then Exim is the wrong MTA
choice.  Exim is unlikely to be taught to do the conversions.

  --John