[Mailman-Developers] Red Hat plans on moving an installation directory

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Wed Sep 29 18:49:00 CEST 2004

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 12:39:13PM -0400, John Dennis wrote:
> We have made a choice to move the non-data components of mailman to
> /usr/lib/mailman by changing the prefix configure parameter (the
> with-var-prefix remains set to /var/mailman). This is closer to what
> some of the other distributions do.

I like it.
However, I believe that FHS recommends using /var/lib/mailman
rather than /var/mailman for those components.

Per FHS 2.3:
Applications must generally not add directories to the top level of
/var. Such directories should only be added if they have some
system-wide implication, and in consultation with the FHS mailing
list.

An application (or a group of inter-related applications) must use a
subdirectory of /var/lib for its data.

So, if you're going to make changes per FHS, change that one too...

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch