[Mailman-Developers] Spam/Scam button

John W. Baxter jwblist at loricamail.com
Thu Dec 15 04:36:48 CET 2005

On 12/14/05 3:32 PM, "Barry Warsaw" <barry at python.org> wrote:

> I do think mailman-developers
> is a reasonable place to discuss this.  We can talk about whether it's
> even reasonable to have anti-spam defenses in Mailman, and if so whether
> we want to pick one such product to support, or have a pluggable
> architecture (possibly shipping one by default).
>
> I also think there are interesting usability/user interface questions to
> ask, as well as whether spam filters should be per-list, site-wide, or
> domain-wide.

We're happy with spam and virus defenses in the MTA which receives from the
world and does the spam and virus work before handing off the messages to
the MTA on the Mailman machine.  The  Mailman machine can't be reached on
port 25 (or 587 or 465) from the world.

If anything is shipped with Mailman (beyond tuneups to what is there now,
which we mostly don't have to use), we'd likely want it able to be turned
off.

  --John