making Mailman CAN-SPAM compliant (was Re: [Mailman-Developers] Hashing member passwords in config.pck)

Kevin McCann kmccann at bellanet.org
Wed Feb 16 17:42:52 CET 2005

Tobias Eigen wrote:

>>>  What I envision having in my Mailman/Mambo system is a single user
>>>  database with one password per username for all services. Users can
>>>  then go to a simple preferences page on Mambo and do basic things
>>>  like change their email address or password, tick a box to opt in/out
>>>  of various mailings, and in particular opt to receive no mail at all.

Hello Tobias,

I have been meaning to respond to several of your emails lately, but
free time has been scarce. We seem to have the same goal, and many
people are looking for the same thing, too -- a Yahoogroups-ish
solution. I looked at Mailman for this for quite a while before coming
to the realization that it just wasn't going to happen easily. There are
simply too many problems with MM 2.x: one-to-one relationships between
members and lists, awkward pickle file storage, limited customization
capabilities and much more. To me, radical changes are required in the
mailing list software. And I believe this needs to happen in the Mailman
3 project due to the considerable design changes required. Barry is
already looking at significant changes for MM3 such as SQL-based storage
(this in itself is huge for our purposes), so I would suggest that
efforts should be spent there.

I'd like to invite you to work with my organization, Bellanet, in any
way possible. We are also in the international development sector and
have been wanting to create an open source version of our Dgroups
product (see www.dgroups.org)  using Mailman and a CMS. In our case we
were favoring Xaraya. But MM 2.x just wasn't going to cut it. We are
looking at putting $ into MM3, and, as it turns out, we want some
African developer involvement. Please contact me off-list if you're
interested in brainstorming. I really want to help move MM3 development
forward -- with money and/or people -- so that creating a YahooGroups
tool, using your favorite CMS as a frontend, would be a cinch.

BARRY:  would now be a good time to re-energize discussions on the MM3
development list? What is your time like? And are there any plans for a
MM3 sprint? I can send people.

- Kevin