making Mailman CAN-SPAM compliant (was Re:[Mailman-Developers]Hashing member passwords in config.pck)

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Feb 16 18:45:32 CET 2005

Adrian Bye wrote:

>Yesterday I contributed patches which enables Mailman to have this exact
>functionality which we borrowed from Yahoo Groups.  Yet I've seen no response
>from you yet, and only one half dismissive response from another mailman
>developer.

Since mine was to only reply to your post, I assume it is that to which
you refer. I didn't intend to be "dismissive". I'm sorry it came
across that way. In fact, I specifically wrote "I am not trying to
denegrate the work you've done or your contribution back to the
Mailman project. I think this is a fine example of how open source
works."

While I did add "I'm only trying to point out that there can be a "dark
side" to this feature.", I didn't intend that to mean that it
shouldn't be an option for those who might want it.

Also, while I may be prolific on the Mailman-Users list, for the record
I have no official connection to the Mailman project. I'm just another
Mailman administrator with a lot of software experience and evidently,
way too much time on his hands. I wouldn't describe myself as a
mailman developer, just an interested party trying to learn and
contribute back.