making Mailman CAN-SPAM compliant (was Re:[Mailman-Developers] Hashing member passwords in config.pck)

Tokio Kikuchi tkikuchi at is.kochi-u.ac.jp
Thu Feb 17 15:33:56 CET 2005

Hi,

Sorry I'm responding late. We had presentations of master theses and I
had to look after 3 out of 8 students for qualification. Moreover, 2
students are Chinese and difficulty in expressing themselves in
Japanese. (Like myself in English :-( )

Adrian Bye wrote:

> http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.039.htp
>
> Yesterday I contributed patches which enables Mailman to have this exact
> functionality which we borrowed from Yahoo Groups.  Yet I've seen no response
> from you yet, and only one half dismissive response from another mailman
> developer.

I looked through your code and my feeling is not integrating this patch
in 2.1.6. The Decorate.py file was considerably patched in CVS by myself
and it will take time to adjust the submitted 2.1.5 patch. Also, there
are some functions copied from other sources not importing nor
inheriting. And, if you write code for immediate integration in the CVS,
you should read http://barry.warsaw.us/software/STYLEGUIDE.txt and PEP
8, or at least read the existing code and learn the style.

> Mailman CAN be as good - and better - than Yahoo Groups.  It doesn't have to
> take lots of money and resources.  Just being willing to accept our code a piece
> at a time, and encouraging those who contribute will go a long way towards
> getting there.
>
> There may be some disagreement on the unsubscribe styff, but the header/footer
> handling only benefits everyone.  I certainly hope that the mailman team will be
> responsive, and accept these patches and integrate them into the codebase.  From
> my side we'll do whatever it takes to make that happen.  Just tell us what we
> have to do.

I think the patch should be available in the SF tracker and tested by
users who want the functionality. Number of unofficial patches are
living like this. It took two years for my first patch (subject prefix
numbering) to be integrated in the CVS. ;-)

http://weather.is.kochi-u.ac.jp/