[Mailman-Developers] Patch for Mail Archive mirroring

Jeff Marshall marshman at frozenbear.com
Fri May 13 02:43:27 CEST 2005

Barry wrote:
> I think I've stated my general philosophy in a previous message.
> If WizzyMTA came with a new plug-in, documentation, and some promise
> of support help (if only to answer questions on mailman-users), we'd
> probably add the module in the next release.  If we had a similar plug-in
> architecture for multiple 3rd-party archivers, we'd facilitate the same
> kind of thing for that service.  I'd be all for that.

Thanks for your feedback.   I'll be happy to dig into the current archive system and work on a plug-in architecture to support multiple external archivers.  I originally thought the Archive component of Mailman was something intended only to support the local pipermail archive, but using that API like you mention sounds like it would work well.  I'm guessing it'd be a fair amount of work to make the internal pipermail work with the plug-in approach just like the external archivers.  At the very least, it would need a lot of testing to make sure it doesn't break existing installations.

I'll get back with MARC and possibly GMane so I can try to make things as general as is reasonable.  I'll try to run a proposed approach in front of the list before coding it (unless it's easy enough to demonstrate the proposal via code).

I think the only concern is that I think admins *would* find value in per-list control of external archives.  This is speculation, though.

Jeff