[Mailman-Developers] Patch for Mail Archive mirroring

Dallas Bethune dallas at dreamhost.com
Fri May 13 02:57:33 CEST 2005

On May 12, 2005, at 5:43 PM, Jeff Marshall wrote:

> Barry wrote:
>
>> I think I've stated my general philosophy in a previous message.
>> If WizzyMTA came with a new plug-in, documentation, and some promise
>> of support help (if only to answer questions on mailman-users), we'd
>> probably add the module in the next release.  If we had a similar
>> plug-in
>> architecture for multiple 3rd-party archivers, we'd facilitate the
>> same
>> kind of thing for that service.  I'd be all for that.
>>

> Thanks for your feedback.   I'll be happy to dig into the current
> archive system and work on a plug-in architecture to support
> multiple external archivers.  I originally thought the Archive
> component of Mailman was something intended only to support the
> local pipermail archive, but using that API like you mention sounds
> like it would work well.  I'm guessing it'd be a fair amount of
> work to make the internal pipermail work with the plug-in approach
> just like the external archivers.  At the very least, it would need
> a lot of testing to make sure it doesn't break existing installations.
>
> I'll get back with MARC and possibly GMane so I can try to make
> things as general as is reasonable.  I'll try to run a proposed
> approach in front of the list before coding it (unless it's easy
> enough to demonstrate the proposal via code).
>
> I think the only concern is that I think admins *would* find value
> in per-list control of external archives.  This is speculation,
> though.

As a webhosting company we would without a doubt find a lot of value
in any per-list control.  We already get quite a lot of requests for
this or that customization that's not possible on a per list basis now.

This particular feature would be great as many of our users are not
happy with pipermail and it'd be nice to point them to a way to
easily enable some other archiving solution.  Right now, I just
vaguely tell them how they might go about doing it themselves.
Likewise, if we add support for some other archiver ourselves it'd be
nice to not have to turn it on for all of the lists on the Mailman
install at the same time.  Moving lists between differently
configured Mailman installs is an option, but this would be less work
if it worked well.

This has been an interesting discussion overall...

     Dallas