[Mailman-Developers] Min requirements for running Mailman?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue May 31 23:48:32 CEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-30 at 16:54, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> There have been reports on the mailman-users list of difficulties in
> moving/upgrading lists from older versions. After grappling with these
> issues in my own mind, I have concluded that the likely explanation is
> not that the new Mailman can't update the old list's config.db, but
> rather that the marshal format of the old lists config.db is not
> compatible with the Python on the new system.
>
> Does this seem reasonable, or am I off track here.

I think it's possible, but I'm not sure this is the real problem.  OT1H,
marshal is not guaranteed to be portable across Python versions (which
is one reason we use pickle now).  I searched through Python's NEWS and
HISTORY files and while I did see a few changes to marshal mentioned,
they aren't changes that I think would have affected Mailman's data
files.

OTOH, it's possible that changes did occur that are biting us.  However,
I just tried to store a dictionary that contained just strings, floats,
and ints.  Created the file under Python 2.1.3 and read it back with
Python 2.4.1 and had no problems.  That doesn't necessarily mean we're
safe, but it makes it less likely that this is the problem.