[Mailman-Developers] PHP Wrappers?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Nov 22 19:04:22 CET 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 12:57 +0000, Ian Eiloart wrote:

> Let's be clear. The *requirement* is that my MTA should never accept
> an email that isn't going to prove undeliverable. Currently there are
> two main reasons why it might: a full mailbox, or a Mailman rule. I'm
> agnostic as to how the requirement is met, but there are issues of
> performance, and configurability to be considered.

The problem as I see it is either that the MTA has to make this decision
synchronously in the middle of its SMTP conversation.  It's unlikely
that Mailman will store its data in anything other than a natural format
for itself (e.g. using Python regexps), so either your MTA has to be
taught to understand that Mailman-native data, or we need some
out-of-band way to get Mailman do that calculation.

One of the things I'd really like to move to in 3.0 is using the maildir
format as the preferred way to get messages into Mailman's incoming
queue.  Actually, that all works in the current 3.0 code.  What's nice
is that it completely decouples Mailman from the MTA, but from your
perspective above, that's also what sucks.

It's definitely a possibility that we could prevent Mailman from ever
bouncing unacceptable messages.

> Anyway, if the intention is to have open rosters (ie rosters that I
> can access from any application), then we're pretty close to what's
> required. It would help if a roster can include regular expressions
> to say things like *@sussex.ac.uk or not *@sussex.ac.uk, and if ban
> lists can be expressed as rosters. My MTA (Exim) has ACL rules that
> can say things like:
> 	if /local/mailman/lists($local_part) is a file, then
> 	if $sender is in the list (SQL query|LDAP query)
> 	then accept the message
> 	else reject the message
>
> Actually, I *thought* this was all in the plan for Mailman 3, but I'm
> glad to get the opportunity to make clear a requirement that - for me
> - is the single most important requirement that Mailman doesn't
> currently meet easily.

The current MM3 schema does express rosters in a table, and regexps are
allowed in those rosters (IIRC), but be aware that they are going to be
Python regexps, and that may not match the regexp language that Exim (or
any other non-Python application) will understand.

> I say "easily", because I *could* have my MTA run a python script to
> get the list of permitted senders, but I've not invested any time
> into doing that, mainly because I've never done any python programming.

That's the easy part. :)